1. Classification of RFID products
Table of Contents
The most basic RFID system includes two parts: the electronic tag and the read-write. Thus, the classification of RFID products can be directly divided into two categories of electronic tag products and read-write products. Considered from the integrity point of view, the root level division of RFID products is shown in Figure 1.
The division of RFID products given in Figure 1 includes.
- (1) electronic label: the carrier of recognition information.
- (2) read-write: the device which transmits the information without contact with the electronic label.
- (3) other related products: on the one hand with the RFID system composition, on the other hand also with the RFID system application related. For example, some people will read-write external antenna single column; Also some RFID system completes the electronic label information injection uses the contact way to realize, such as the railroad car number automatic diagnosis system in the electronic label all uses the wire connection programming to write the label information way to realize, the corresponding programming writing device is customarily called the programmer.
Fig.1 RFID product’s (root level) classification
1.1 The electronic label product classification
From the perspective of product-bearing technology, the classification of electronic tag products is closely related to the classification of RFID technology/electronic tag technology. However, because the electronic label product is directly oriented to the application, and thus from the perspective of classification, it is necessary to better grasp the characteristics of RFID technology/electronic label technology and products, choose the appropriate classification basis, so that the electronic label product is included in a suitable classification system for product development and promotion and application.
1.1.1 The basis of electronic label product classification
According to the electronic label product development and application, the diversity of electronic label products is increasingly being shown: there are different manufacturers of electronic label products, the same manufacturers of electronic label products can also be as many as dozens, hundreds of varieties; there are different air interface protocol standards of electronic label products; there are different packaging forms of electronic label products; and so on.
Obviously, if the use of a single classification basis is very difficult to such a complex electronic label products into its category. Through repeated comparative research, this paper proposes a system for the classification of electronic label products, as shown in Figure 1.
According to the system basis shown in Fig. 2, the diversity of electronic label products can be precisely located in a hierarchical classification from coarse to fine. When using the system classification basis shown in Figure 2, it should be noted that the classification is carried out according to the principle of grading.
The classification of electronic label products given by Figure 2 includes four classification elements in order, namely: frequency, standard, package and application. Among them.
(1) In the first place is the operating frequency of the electronic label. Frequency is different, the technology used in the electronic label is also different, the portability of different frequency technology is relatively poor, in a certain sense, the frequency factor also determines the technical cost of the electronic label product at the bottom.
Figure.2 The four layers of electronic label product classification chart
(2) In the second place is the electronic label air interface standard. The electronic label air interface standard decides the compatibility between the electronic label and the read-write. The electronic label which satisfies the same air interface standard, although its appearance can be very different, but in the relationship with the read-write is compatible.
(3) In the third place is the electronic label package. The package of the electronic label determines the adaptability of the electronic label to the application environment, and to a large extent directly determines the cost of the electronic label product.
(4) In fourth place is the application of the electronic label. The ultimate purpose of the electronic label product is to meet the application requirements, and the reality of the specific application requirements (including application scenarios) a wide range of head, directly determines the detailed specifications of the product.
According to the above four classification elements and in order, can be a variety of electronic label products into a clear and standardized system. Through the above four elements, you can also realize an electronic label research and development or production enterprises on the electronic label product model naming of the uncluttered. It should be noted that the four elements in the product model naming should be enough to leave a certain margin of model naming code bits (space).
1.1.2 Passive electronic label product classification examples
The following RFID technology / electronic tag technology classification of passive electronic tags as an example, the four levels of classification of electronic tag products based on the necessary explanation.
First, according to the RFID technology/electronic label technology classification selected passive electron label has defined the electronic label product power supply method is from the read-write emitting the radio frequency field to extract the electric energy. On this basis, can be sparse classification in accordance with the order of four elements.
- The first step: according to the frequency classification. Working frequency different electronic label should be classified under different frequency category, the same frequency band of electronic label can be in the frequency to be number level into a class;.
- The second step: according to the standard classification. Meet the same air interface standard agreement of the electronic label products have mutual compatibility, can be grouped into a class;.
- The third step: according to the package classification. Consider the electronic label packaging elements, can be used from the outside and inside the order or from the inside and outside the order. Generally use the order from the outside and inside for easier understanding.
For passive, UHF band electronic label according to its appearance package can be divided into hard label and soft label two categories. Among them, the hard label often includes: boxed, card and special way; soft label according to its internal packaging can be divided into: Strap (chip core), Inlay (label inlay) and Label (RFID barcode printing label).
Fourth step: according to the application classification. Consider the final application of electronic tags to go. For example, plastic cigarette factory tray snap-on label, cigarette, wooden cigarette factory tray soft attachment type label, container box number identification electronic label, railroad truck electronic label, railroad locomotive electronic label, railroad passenger car electronic label, and so on.
The process described above on the passive electronic label product classification sparse as shown in Figure 3. Through the above classification example illustration, it is obvious to realize the classification goal of classifying the electronic label thing into its category, and is a process from coarse to fine. This classification method is in line with people’s habit of understanding, and it is also easy to grasp the diversity of electronic label products in an outline manner.
Figure.3 Example of electronic label product classification chart
For RFID technology / electronic label technology classification listed in the semi-passive electronic label and active active electronic label product classification, also can refer to Figure 3.
1.2 Read-write product classification
Compared with the electronic label product category, the read-write product category has been significantly reduced. On the one hand because the same air interface agreement standard electronic label may adapt to the same read-write read-write, on the other hand because the read-write application and the electronic label differ. The electronic label and the recognition thing binds, the read-write and the use person or the information acquisition system binds.
Even so, along with RFID application development, RFID read-write diversity also tends to be shown day by day. How to summarize the diversity of RFID read-write from the perspective of rational analysis not only has the significance of classification, but also has the implicit significance of triggering new product development.
1.2.1 The read-write product classification basis
First analyzes the electronic label product classification basis for the read-write product applicability, on this basis, then combines the RFID read-write positioning and the application characteristic not difficult to determine the read-write product suitable classification basis. Refer to the electronic label product classification basis shown in Figure 2: frequency, standard, package, application.
- (1) The frequency is different, the corresponding RFID technology also has the big difference, although from the theoretical point of view can be different frequency RFID read-write integration production together, but there is a significant technical difference of integration brought about by the integrated RFID read-write performance loss and cost increase is the most important obstacle that restricts the line of thought. Thus, in the RFID reader product classification, still can count the frequency factor as an independent element.
- (2) The standard is different, the difference of the air interface protocol standard to the read-write design, generally called not significant difference. The present RFID read-write product already exists the read-write product which is compatible with the multi-protocol in a large number. Thus, in the RFID reader product classification, the standard element of the component will be reduced to a non-independent element.
- (3) The package is different, embodies the read-write technical requirement is different. Usually the electronic label can be made smaller, the read-write is made larger. With the RFID technology development, read-write miniaturization, modularization, miniaturization, monolithic is very important development direction. The contradictory problem brought about by this is the read-write transmitting power and power supply. Short-time high power launch and support this mode of power supply (power module or battery) will be RFID reader technology development process increasingly prominent important issues. Thus, in the RFID reader product classification, the packaging element will still be an independent element.
- (4) The application is different, will be more reflected in a variety of different application needs. For example, the RFID reader and the bar code reader are integrated into one.
Source: China RFID System Manufacturer – Actility Technologies Company Limited (www.tractility.com)